Friday, October 14, 2011

Boring as Hell Update

So it's been a really long time since I've posted. I haven't forgotten about the blog, Sweeney made damn sure of that. I've just been really busy. Law school shit. So Ill try and give a quick run through of everything mention worthy that has happened recently. Probably going to be boring because I'm still leery of putting good details on the internet.

So, weddings are fun...

My last post had a story about my cousin's bachelor party. It was a good time. Back in mid-August, he had his wedding. I was a groomsman. It was a great time. The wedding was on a Friday and the guests started to arrive on Wednesday. Being a groomsman, I had to be there on Wednesday. This also happened to be the week before law school started. There was a lot of bar hopping that week as people were trying to meet as many classmates as possible. My flight was scheduled for 7 AM out of South Bend. I was at the bar until 2:30 AM and woke up at 5 AM because I hadn't packed yet. Needless to say I started my weekend very early.

I flew into Baltimore, arriving a little after 9AM. The bride's family had already been in town, staying with my cousin and his wife to be for a few days, and they were pretty much in panic mode before I got there. There were a bunch of wedding party duties to do on the first day before getting to the hotel. Anyways, we got to the hotel around noon, got situated at the pool with a case of beer and started greeting the guests. All the guests at this wedding were totally down to drink, so the full weekend of drunkenness was socially acceptable. Basically was drunk all weekend, under the watchful eye of my entire family. Great time.

Anyways, I noticed a few things about being in a groomsman. Managing the groom can be stressful, especially when the wedding is outside and the forecast is for a downpour. It's still a great time, though. You basically spend the entire weekend with the same group of people, so over the course of the weekend, you feel like you have known people you just met for a very long time. The whole movie wedding romantic comedy joke about groomsmen and bridesmaids hooking up is definitely not a cliche. That shit happens. [insert not appropriate for internet story here] I'll tell the story in person.

Wedding Mafia

This Isn't Law School...It's High School

I am now roughly two months into my first semester of law school. 1L. Supposedly shit they make movies about. So far I haven't found myself overwhelmed at all, really. Not to sound arrogant, but I really think being in engineering at Michigan prepared me for a heavy course load in a way that those kids from the small liberal arts schools hadn't seen before. We just had our first graded assignment due, a 12 page in-office memo worth 30% of our writing grade, and shit got real for some kids. There were some kids who pulled multiple all nighters this week. I really couldn't figure out how 12 pages of writing on top of our regular load was such a big deal. Either way, I know it's going to get tougher.

Our 1L class has 186 students. I think I could probably identify around 100 by name. The same 75 go out to the same bars every weekend. The class is very cliquish actually. I think I can point to at least 5 different cliques in my class. It just seems really high school to me. We even had a fricken homecoming dance. Well it was called fall ball but it was homecoming. I have found my own group, and am very content with my social life down there, so I guess I'm part of the clique problem too. I just find it weird how there are people who have already carved out reputations for themselves. Reputations that I don't think they are going to be able to fix, actually. 

Anyways, I'm actually pretty happy at law school. I really enjoy the material and I have found a pretty cool group of people to hang out with. We always hit the bars as a group. We all went to Chicago together 2 weekends ago. (Stories on that in a later post because I'm getting sick of writing) Our clique is subdivided into the girls and guys groups. High school. The guys usually pregame the pregame at one of the guys' apartments because the chicks take extra long to get ready. We also all watch Boardwalk Empire at my place, which has for sure become the dudes hangout. (Sweeney, one of my buddies bears a slight resemblance to Matthew McConaughey and I think I have convinced him to be Wooderson from Dazed and Confused for Halloween.)  Blackouts are surprisingly common in this group. Sunday mornings are usually full of a lot of phone calls to try to piece things together. More on that later...

Alright, alright, alright

Well that's where my life is at right now. Hopefully I'll see you guys around Thanksgiving and the big football game. Then maybe NYE in Chicago...

Oh yeah and I went to Lolla...

Lolla

2 comments:

  1. You have another friend named Sweeney?! No, after I read it a few times I got that it was a shout out to me.

    Anyway I thought you were supposed to be "getting a bit better everyday." It sounds like you're just getting drunk! Oh if only life were that easy. Even for you college kids. Look at me putting on airs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok I have been getting better. I no longer drink on Thursdays. EVER.

    ReplyDelete