Monday, June 20, 2011

Tale of Two Weekends

The Next Step
Quite a lot has happened in the last week or so. I pretty much made official my commitment to Notre Dame Law School by signing a lease for an apartment down there. I felt really weird down there the entire time. Very conflicted, actually. I finally accepted that I won't be attending Michigan for another three years, even though I knew Michigan would be a long shot from the get go. I think what makes it really weird for me is that I am going to ND. I have been a Michigan fan since I knew what sports were. I've been going to the football games since I was five. I watched Biakabatuka (sp?) shit all over Ohio State, remember Mercury Hayes miraculous game winning touchdown against Virginia, saw Woodson lead Michigan to the Rose Bowl/National Championship and win the Heisman. Hell, I turned down spots on D2 and D3 football teams because I always wanted to go to Michigan. Many people have lately been asking me how I feel about going to Notre Dame and, worse, jokingly calling me a traitor or something like that. Now, I know that it's kidding, but it really makes my blood boil. Nothing will ever make me a Notre Dame fan. Anyways, I digress. I always knew ND was a good school with a pretty campus, but being down there made me really excited to go there. Damn, I'm excited for a new chapter. For a while I was feeling guilty about being excited about ND, but not anymore. It's a new part of my life and it's a big deal for me. I'm ready to start the countdown.

Welcome to the ND Law School Reading Room


"Right now I could watch a horse mounting another horse and still get off"- Anonymous
Now for some less serious shit. This weekend we had my cousin's bachelor party in Baltimore. It was one hell of a time. The best man and I surprised him with the party. The idiot had no idea we were coming. We even showed up on different days (I on Friday night and he on Saturday morning) and he still didn't know until the next morning when the best man walked in from the balcony. What a dumbass. Either way it was one hell of a day. Started at 9AM with a huge breakfast consisting of scrambled eggs Z15 style, bacon, English muffins and fresh fruit (his fiance insisted). Oh yeah, Bloody Mary's as well. The next stop was the Heavy Seas Brewery Tour. It was a small brewery, but it made some great beer and was a great deal. Free tour and $5 for a souvenir glass with 5 sample tokens in it. We all pooled our tokens and "donated" them to the bachelor. He was feeling pretty buzzed by 11:30. From there we went to lunch at his favorite pizza place in the area, which was also a brewpub with great beers. They brought us free shots of Gran Marnier, and it was great. From there we went to the Tiki Bar on the harbor. Interesting place, bolted to docks with a pool and 2 bars. Strange crowd though, old people at the upstairs bar and then college aged, hot chicks all around the pool. After an hour or so there, we were ready for halftime at the house. Brian was allotted a 30 minute nap before the drinking continued. We made a sweet dinner, with the help of his lovely fiance (she put up with a hell of a lot when she saw us at breakfast and dinner, laughing and smiling the whole time). I will not share the details of the television viewing that occurred during dinner preparations.

The last stop that I will write about was the harbor cruise. There's a BYOB cruise around Baltimore Harbor that is pirate themed (kind of annoying but you work through it), and it turned out pretty fun. We walked on the boat with roughly 40 beers, and walked off with 4. This cruise was about an hour and 15 minutes. There were 4 of us drinking beer, and one guy drinking liquor. You get the picture. That is all the bachelor party details I'm willing to share online. I'm pretty excited for the wedding weekend. The groomsmen are a fun group of guys and the reception is going to be a great time.

I came home to the family father's day celebration, which was grouped in with my goddaughter's birthday party. All of the adults acknowledged the shape that I was in, and I was officially proclaimed to have had bad pizza. That is Summers family code for a bad hangover, I think it originated with my uncle lying to my grandma and grandpa about it. It took this to be my aunts and uncles recognizing me as an adult in the family. It's about damn time, right?


Almost all of that beer went onto that boat, almost none of it came off.

3 comments:

  1. I'm interested to hear the details unfit for blogging. Now you see why I made my blog private (I'm living in denial that it is possible for my blogs to still be made public).

    I promise I will never call you a traitor - I don't think I have yet anyway.

    It's already been too long. We'll have to arrange a reunion in A2 soon. Until mid July it should be a lot easier for me to go to you than it is for you to come to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have not done a real bachelor party! I wish I could hear some of the details man.

    I agree with Sweeney, you'd never be considered a traitor, I feel like people almost always pledge allegiance to their alma maters.

    I guess David talked me into driving out to AA the weekend before the 4th of July, hopefully we can all catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are sitting on your ass waiting for the air conditioning repair man. Update your blog dammit!

    ReplyDelete